As you might have guessed i snagged up another espresso machine. I was told the machine started leaking water after being descaled and that somehow it wouldn’t switch off anymore. Having seen some of the pictures of the machine before committing to the sale it seemed like an easy fix. When i picked up the package it came in this afternoon it all went south though.
Truth be told the package looked good from the outside, it was taped together well and i didn’t notice any parts moving around freely inside, unlike the Astoria grinder i picked up a while ago. When i opened the box i quickly noticed that the watertank had been broken because the powercable was put behind it. Not startled just yet i put a little water in the tank (just enough to cover the waterinlethose) and plugged it in. While the machine was described as “not switching off anymore” i couldn’t get it to do anything. The powerswitch didn’t do anything and neither did the steam or brew switch. Oddly enough the lights in the kitchen wouldn’t turn on anymore either and it became clear the machine had tripped the breaker and had a short in it somewhere.
When i reset the breaker and opened up the machine i noticed that it looked a lot like the Isomac Giada i recently repaired. On a hunch i pulled the two connectors from the heatingelement and plugged the machine back in. The lights didn’t go out this time and the machine appeared to be working, except for the heatingelement obviously. Bad news.
Opening the boiler revealed a couple of odd things. The first thing i noticed was the sheer amount of calcium deposits and flakes in it, even though the seller told me it was recently descaled. The heatingelement looked a little twisted too and when i cleaned out the scaling it suddenly made sense why the machine tripper the breaker. I assume the previous owner tried to remedy the leaking boiler by trying to tighten the two nuts on the heatingelement. The problem with that is however that the heatingelement will twist if you use too much force with the risk of damaging the heatingelement. In this particular case the heatingelement had to endure a tremendous amount torquing which lead to two individual rips in the metal of the element.
To be continued
Obviously i am going to need new parts to fix this one and i’ve already contacted the seller to see what we can work out. The machine clearly had a bunch of hidden defects that weren’t mentioned when i bought it. For now this project is on hold =([Update] The seller has stepped up and offered to pay for the new waterreservoir. I’ll pay for the new heatingelement (and various other parts) and then call it a day.